About The Department
Biotechnology is the use of living systems and organisms to develop or make products, or “any technological application that uses biological systems, living organisms or derivatives thereof, to make or modify products or processes for specific use”
(UN Convention on Biological Diversity, Art. 2)
At its simplest, biotechnology is technology based on biology – biotechnology harnesses cellular and biomolecular processes to develop technologies and products that help improve our lives and the health of our planet.We the department of biotechnology began functioning in the year 2002, with teachers and students in for Bachelors and in 2003 for Masters as well.
To help the students to become professionally competent and socially committed human beings .
To teach and inspire them in order to become efficient in the field of Biotechnology and to face the various challenges in different walks of life.
|B.Sc. Biotechnology||3 Years||A Pass in Plus Two||30|
|M.Sc. Biotechnology||2 Years||B.Sc. With 50% marks (CGPA -2) in Biotechnology, Zoology, Botany, Biochemistry, Microbiology, and Chemistry.||20|
List Of Faculty Members
|Mrs. Shiney George||H. O. D.||M.Sc., M. Phil|
|Mrs. Livina Vincent||Asst. Professor||M.Sc., M. Phil|
|Mrs. Reshma V J||Asst. Professor||M.Sc., M. Phil|
|Mrs. Rini K T||Asst. Professor||M.Sc.|
|Miss. Athira Sathyan||Asst. Professor||M.Sc.|
|Mrs. AgnesJini P J||Asst. Professor||M.Sc.|
Research Projects And Other Activities Of The Department Project Works Completed
- Antimicrobial potential of Holigrana arnottiana against human, shrimp and biofilm forming bacteria
- Antimicrobial potentials of Excoecaria agallocha sourced from mangrove wetland of Puthenvelikkara
- Isolation and characterization of extracellular amylase producing bacteria from soli and optimization of enzyme
- Isolation of amylase producing root associated bacteria sourced from Avecennia marina
- Biological activity of mangrove, Rhizophora mucronata
- Evaluating the antimicrobial efficacy of mangrove Excoecaria agallocha
- Evaluating the antibacterial efficacy of mangrove, Sonneratia alba
- Antagonistic potency and GC-MS analysis of analysis of mangrove, Avecennia marina
- Micropropagation of oyster mushroom and evaluation of its extracellular enzyme production.
- Screening of suitable grain substrates for spawn development and growth of oyster mushroom
- Effect of different substrates – paddy straw, cocopit and banana leafs on oyster mushroom cultivation
- Effect of different substrates – news paper, saw dust and grass on oyster mushroom cultivation
- Study of antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of edible mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus)
And so on…………
Project Works Ongoing
- Proposal of a project to Department of Science and Technology [DST] by Mrs. Shiney George is accepted.
- Mushroom cultivation of various edible and medicinal varieties.
- In-vivo propagation of Adenium
- In-vitro propagation different plants
- An exotic Hibiscus Garden
- Value added products from Coconut [Kera Healer], Nut meg [Good bye].
- Evaluation of the different medicinal properties of Kera Healer.
- The Department of Science and Technology (DST), New Delhi has approved a fund to the HOD Mrs. Shiney George for her project on Garcinia gummigutta.
- Two of our passed out B.Sc. students have got admission for M.Sc. in IIT, Mumbai and NIT, Rourkela in the previous years and one of them is successfully pursuing her Ph.D. in IIT, Mumbai
- The Department of Biotechnology conducted a three-day zonal training programme in association with IIT, Kharagpur for all life sciences students in December 2017.
- Ms.Farha Fathima (2015-18 batch) has achieved first rank in the M.G.University, Kottayam B.Sc. Biotechnology exam.